What is Food Management?
Food Management can be described as the process of Planning, Preparing and Coordinating the basic duties to supervise the activities of Catering services and cooking staffs.
This process involves the control of how goods and services flow.
What is Food Safety?
When food is kept in a hygienic condition and free from any contamination or germs, it said to be safe and harmless for consumption.
Meaning of Food Hygiene
Food hygiene is the act of keeping edible substances safe and preventing toxic substances and pathogen from growing in the food by keeping them clean and environment clean too.
Who is a Food Safety Manager?
A Food safety manager is someone in Charge of food prepared and ensures that the food is safe and not harmful for human or animal consumption.
Responsibilities of Food Safety Manager
1. To Help Stop Health risk of consumers.
2. Food Safety Managers controls and supervise the handling, storage and preparation of foods in such a way to avoid food contamination and poisoning of foods.
3. They make certain that the staffs abide in the activities.
4. They determine and inquiry food emergency situations.
5. They organize and direct all food safety.
6. Food safety managers ensures cleanliness and temperature for optimum storage are kept.
7. To make the food safety rules known to the organization involved in the food production process.
8. Being aware of different potential food hazards and must take enough care to reduce these.
9. He or she must take precaution measures to prevent pathogenic attacks from causing food spoilage.
10. It is crucial to take precaution measures to prevent household pests like rats from spreading through the food preparation areas.
11. A food safety manager must acquire food safety training and have work experience as a cook, kitchen manager or a chef.
12. Food safety manager should be capable of acting quickly in order to understand, find a solution to the problem and implement a plan of action.
Hygienic food management strategies
There are several precautions to take in food management. To ensure a good Hygienic food management, there are strategies to guide and help in food management.
The Strategies are as follows;
1. Separate uncooked and cooked food and use subsequent Kitchen Utensils in preparing the foods.
2. Sterilize surfaces before starting any food preparation.
Unhygienic Food Handling Methods
Food handling methods of food handlers can have a great impact on the hygienic state of food but unhygienic food handling can pose a public health risk in both human and animals.
Unhygienic Food handling methods includes;
1. Food handlers smoking.
2. Infected food handlers with uncovered cuts.
3. Lack of being clean and washing of hands before and after any food preparations. And also handling of raw foods.
4. Wearing of dirty Apron or Uniforms.
5. Making use of unclean surfaces.
6. Use of contaminated water or dirty water for cleaning and processing food as well as poor food production process and food handling.
7. Lack of suitable food storage facilities.
8. Exposing food out for too long without covering it up with clean object.
9. Signs of pests in the environment.
Effects of food hygienic environment where food is kept
Food hygienic is very important for a healthy living. It involves lots of practices which includes;
1. Protecting of food from the risk of poisoning and contamination, including harmful pathogens and foreign bodies.
2. Preventing any bacteria present in the food from multiplying to an extent which can lead to a severe illness of consumers.
3. Promotes the enjoyment and satisfactory of meals.
4. Food Hygienic environment makes a great impact to the food taste.
5. t also reduce wasting of food through spoilage.
6. It saves money and time that would have wasted resources and capital.
7. It reduces food borne diseases.
8. Result to Healthy living and happy life.
Effects Of Unhygienic food handling on customers
Unhygienic Food Handling can make a bad effect on consumers. They includes;
1. Unhygienic food handling can lead to food contamination.
2. Lead to food borne diseases.
3. Wasting of resources and capital on drugs and hospital bills.
4. Poor health.
5. Severe health issues can lead to Death.
6. Loss of Patronage when consumers feel unsafe and change to another food vendor
The effectiveness to ensure the safety of food for consumers is very necessary. To achieve efficient food safety system, food handlers must ensure the environment, equipment and food storage facilities are kept clean and adhere to safety rules and maintaining optimum room temperature.